Don't let this title fool you. There is a Toyota Matrix in our driveway.
But given we are already two months into summer and I was coming up on a weeklong work trip, I thought I would do the next to impossible – which is why I do not do it too often anymore – and keep the kids home with me two Fridays ago to attempt to balance work, life and that pressing thing called motherhood.
I skipped my morning bike ride with the ladies to get a head start on my work day to make sure I could carve out a few guilt free hours and leave my office duties behind. I still had my share of con-calls and newsletters, which meant the kids still had a handful of Disney shows and some rare moments of independent (from me) and cooperative (with each other) play, but in between I got some pool time, lunch time, snuggle time and play time.
One lesson I learned early is that Alex is almost completely self-sufficient. Not sure if this happened over night (and next week I will discover he is shaving and doing long division, too), but other than having me put his waffle in the toaster, he managed his day very maturely and independently … watching MLB highlights, playing his leapers, reading books and tossing the ball with himself in the front yard. If it was not against some state law, then I am not sure I needed to be there.
The second lesson I learned is that Avery is still so far from self-sufficient. Despite her growing vocabulary (there is no question in what she wants when she screams “I want fruit snacks”), her well developed motor skills (I am no longer fearful of her falling when she scales the kitchen cabinets to find fruit snacks) and her increased deductive reasoning skills (if mommy is in the office, then I can sneak behind the couch to eat five bags for fruit snacks without anyone knowing), these abilities only add to (not lessen) a harried day to entertain, pacify, clean up after and (when needed) properly discipline an energetic and explorative three year old.
She took me on a roller coaster of laughter and frustration, which peaked when she discover a lingerie drawer that I had long forgotten and when she covered her body (from head to toe) with a red Cinderella stamp, but it was well worth it and much needed for me to keep up with the kids … and that includes literally keeping up with Avery.
No comments:
Post a Comment