Friday, August 20, 2010

Gone Fishing

I didn’t realize how repetitive our days were at Little Paw Paw Lake until I posted the pictures. Needless to say, we did some fishing. We did some hanging out at the lake. We did some daytrips into town (South Haven or Saugatuck). And we did some more hanging out at the cottage, where each night ended with a Pixar and Tudors double feature. Obviously, the later came on once all little ones were fast asleep. But the routine was relaxing, a bit mindless, and totally enjoyable to Alex and Avery. For a last minute get-a-way, not sure the environment could have been better.

However, worth noting so we don’t falsely start a tourisism boom in the small and un-prepared town of Coloma, our rental house, and its thin piece of land leading to the lake, may have been the best there was to offer. I loved the updated gourmet kitchen, the oversized sectional sofa (might have spent more time on it than the dock), the rehabbed bath and all the other indoor amenities. I loved our big yard, tall trees, rickety dock, small patch of sand and the three feet deep waters, but when outside, we did our best to have tunnel vision and keep blinders on to what was on the right or left of our little stretch of heaven. Without being too mean to the locals, we might have been one dead deer shy of Deliverance. Didn’t really get that full impression until I went on my first (and last) morning run, but my thoughts were confirmed by Andy who went on an adventure or two when looking for a local bait shop. I would be lying if I said we didn’t take turns sleeping in the kids’ room just in case the man living three doors down was throwing away body-parts in his dumpster like I immediately assumed.

But all my exaggerated fears aside – and luckily none were passed on to the kids – it was a great trip on a quaint little lake (and only five hours away). In our cottage was a sign that read “When you are Lucky Enough to Live on the Lake, You are Lucky Enough.” We loved that sign, and until we feel compelled to roll over the 529s into some type of investment real estate fund, I guess our slogan will just have to be “when you are lucky enough to spend five days on the lake with your two sweet kids, you are lucky enough.”

Click here to see pictures from our trip to Little Paw Paw Lake in Michigan. And look below for a video of Avery’s big catch.


No comments: