Wednesday, August 11, 2010

It’s All About the Accessories

Someone in our house is learning that lesson early on. Avery likes to wear my watch, bracelets and rings (don’t tell Andy), but it looks like she might have a more creative side when it comes to making sure her outfits have the right pop, especially if compensating for what could be considered (by a three year old) to be drab, boring or just “not girly” enough. Case in point ... her floral board shorts and matching navy and purple swim shirt. This was the only clean option in the house and was a must wear on my end as we needed to scurry home from daycare, perform a quick wardrobe change and meet at the pool for lessons. Avery had other thoughts (along with a very vocal and animated protest) indirectly associated with the fact I was behind on laundry and directly related to fact this outfit did not have the flare, twirl or pink she was so desperately craving. To get out the door in a timely (and quiet) fashion, I conceded by taping Disney Princesses valentines all over her bathing suit.

So I am not sure if I am bothered by all this because I caved and allowed my daughter to appear in public with small pieces of pink paper pinned to her body or that I really don’t know where this child is coming from? If someone would have told me as a young girl that I could swim in shorts and a t-shirt, then my self-esteem and my opinion of public pools would have been much higher. In any case, it is just becoming more and more obvious that this apple fell extremely far from the tree and I got myself a girly girl.

No comments: