Wednesday, November 23, 2011

And Let There Be Thanks

No costumes. No stage. No parents with camcorders. Just a script and an intimate reading in the LECC hallway. Guess that is how the traditional Thanksgiving play, Squanto Helps the Pilgrims, is now performed. Alex landed (probably by random selection, not audition) the impressive and noble role of governor John Carver. This morning as we were going through his school papers he re-read his historic line:

“We promise to protect the Wampanoag people. We promise to treat them with kindness.”

Well said. Well said.

But before I go down a political path about our country’s inability to stay true to that promise, let me shift my attention back to one more special item I pulled out of Alex's school bag after yesterday’s first grade Harvest Celebration. It was a handmade, yet laminated, placemat. Complete with the hand-traced turkey, colorful leaves and the words:

“I am most thankfuel for my famaley.”

Again, well said. Well said.

We can work on the spelling next year.

No comments: