Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Just Can't Seem to Get It Right Today

For about the past two months, my mornings have been painful. Can’t pin point why – I have tried a variety of ways to approach them and thinking it might have to do with my travel, my lack of sleep, the warm weather, Avery’s constipation and Alex’s inability to accept change on the fly – but they always seem to involve uncooperative, crying, kicking and screaming kids. And today was no different and seemed to be worse.

By the time I walk out of school – knowing they are safe and secure under board certified adult supervision – I am exhausted and emotionally defeated. I feel deflated, having experienced a roller coaster of emotions engineered by two kids working in a tag team fashion as they waver between cute, bitter, sweet and defying while doing the most basic tasks of eating breakfast, watching the Disney Channel, getting dressed and getting in the car. Thus, the ride leads me through happy, frustrated, amenable, angry, guilty and eventually sad that we just wasted another 90 minutes of our life with this turbulent routine.

So once again, I am setting the DVR for Super Nanny and browsing the web with the search topic “Starting Your Day Right with Kids” to help me find the secret sauce or magic formula for successful AM parenting. I’ll let you know what I find, and will leave you with this comforting, catchy and all too relevant song from Joe Purdy.

PS. To avoid sounding too pessimistic today, I hear the kids are angels for their teachers and that is the way it should be.



No comments: