Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Semantics

I know one day my ability to over think and carefully construct language is going to come back to haunt me. I feel like I am making sound (and necessary) choices now, but can’t help but have visions of my kids sitting on a couch telling their therapist that mommy was not always truthful. Yesterday, I found the following flow way too easily out of my mouth:

“Alex, I am not lying to your sister. I am just misleading her so we can get out the door without a meltdown.”

As usual, we were just minutes from missing the bus, so my end goal seemed so much more important than the means. And I'll admit, when they were younger it was much easier to live (and speak and promise) in the moment as I knew their memory would not outlast my tiny white lie. But yesterday, given their new found ability to hear and remember everything, I was left with a lot of explaining to do when I got to school and did not let Avery change into her favorite princess dress. This caused a tearful goodbye (for all parties involved) and it also led to a guilt-induced Kids' Meal at Wendy’s, followed by a two hour Wii marathon later that night.

No comments: