I already have a hundred reasons to donate my time and dollars to Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, including Lilly, who is three and the daughter of Kathy, and Drew, who is one and son of Erin, to name a few, but this past week it became a hundred and one. On Thursday I met Chris. He is 57 years old and living with Cystic Fibrosis (CF). The doctors told his parents at birth that they should not expect him to live past age two. He told me he likes to prove doctors wrong. He also told me he is a proud father of four and an even more proud grandfather of two. He has a daughter in New York City trying to make it on Broadway. He has another daughter about to graduate high school and is applying to Duke. He joked that he needs to live and work for 50 more years to make that happen.Chris said he has had his ups and downs with the disease, and the biggest was losing his eye sight (and then his first wife in a divorce) after a lung transplant. But despite all this and the daily challenges that come with living with CF, the optimism, hope and gratitude radiated over the phone. I just sat listening. I hung up crying.
So yes, this was a phone conversation. It was a random number on caller ID and I am surprised I even picked it up, but so glad I did. The CF Foundation declared Thursday their national volunteer recognition day and all kinds of thank you efforts were happening throughout the country. Phone calls to volunteers were just one of them. I was touched by the thought and appreciated the organization saying they appreciated me, but ironically, the conversation was not about me, nor should it have been. Chris deserves the credit. He deserves the phone call. He deserves the recognition for beating the odds and becoming the example story of what anyone with CF should hope and strive for – and what could become “typical” as long as all efforts related to treatments, drugs and cures continue to get attention and get funding.
I want to be an old, old lady at my 65th high school reunion and hear Kathy talk about how Lilly’s daughter is graduating from high school. I want to be an old, old lady at gourmet club (which by then would involve rotating nursing home dining rooms the third Thursday of each month) and hear Erin talking about how Drew's son is applying to colleges. Let’s make that possible.
So if you ever needed one more reason to give, think of Chris and how all those with CF today should get the chance to prove the disease wrong like he is doing. Kathy is participating in the Great Strides Walk in Seattle, WA. You can support her and Lilly here. Erin is walking in the Great Strides Walk in Cincinnati, OH. You can support her and Drew here. Or visit the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation website for more information or general donations.
1 comment:
Your post made me tear up! I shared Lilly's video on my blog too. I was also making "Thank You Thursday" calls last week, and its because of volunteers like you that a lot of our progress is made. Thank you for sharing this and supporting the CF Foundation. It means the world to us :)
Post a Comment