Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Inquiring Minds Want to Know

Today we missed the bus – again. Not because Avery refused to wear pants, which is the source of our normal morning delays, but because I got some tough questions.

Alex: “Is there just one Santa Claus? How does the Tooth Fairy know you have a tooth under your pillow? Will I come back to life after I die?”

I thought I had at least five more years until I would have to address these topics and it is never good to try and tackle them when under a timeframe. But here was my best attempt.

Mommy: “Just one Santa. If he looks different every year at the mall it is because he is getting older and people change. You look different each year when you go to see him, right? However, there are multiple Tooth Fairies. They are just too small to cover the whole world, so they are all trained to perform the same tasks, equipped with the same teeth finding radar and then assigned regionally. As for life after death, there a couple theories out there. First, when you die you will go to heaven and live with God and everyone who has passed before you. In spirit you can look down on earth and watch over the ones you love. Second, there is reincarnation. This is the idea that after you die and hang out with God for a while, your soul will once again be called on duty for the secular life. You will return either as a person, animal or plant. But don’t worry, if you come back as a baby bird, then I will be your mommy bird.”

I might have told a little white lie on that last one, but we were approaching 9:05 am. The kids agreed it would be fun to come back to earth in our second life as a family of spiders who live at the neighborhood pool. Go figure. But guessing they are satisfied with my answers for now and I am expecting at least 15 phone calls (and complaints) for starting the nasty rumor running through LECC that the Tooth Fairy is plural and possibly unionized.

No comments: