Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Giving

Every action causes a reaction. I am pretty sure that might be a law of physics or some other scientific principle, but I actually think it best explains the holidays. Or at least what drives me through all the planning, shopping, re-thinking, wrapping, organizing, cleaning and calendaring. Sure, it’s stressful and the root cause of a miscommunication or two, but I usually love every minute of it and the end result never fails to make all the time and effort worth it.

It sounds so cliché to say that Christmas is about giving (I know ... it is also about the birth of baby Jesus and, despite my lack of a nativity scene, we do have the kid’s trained on that response too), but this time of year does seem to be the best time to give, say thanks and share in a genuine way that doesn’t seem too mushy (unless that is what you are going for) or over the top (Ok, you can go slightly over the top).

Like in years past and I am sure more to come, the smiles, laughter and pure joy that enchants Alex and Avery during the holidays – by our own doing or that of the magic of Christmas – is one of the greatest rewards of parenting.

I just hope the day never comes when they think getting a bath towel as gift is no longer cool.

Click here to see pictures from Christmas 2010.

No comments: