So the good news is that I can now blame all my parenting follies, lapses in motherhood, philosophy of tough love and preference to have Alex fix his own lunch for school on being either enlightened or trendy. A recent Time Magazine article titled, "The Growing Backlash Against Overparenting," is just what I needed to read to help balance the societal pressure and guilt that follows, because I am not buying my kids hundreds of dollars worth of toys for Christmas and I have not signed up either of them up for an extracurricular art, music, calculus, auto repair or computer programming class. I think the article is spot on, and only hope our generation of parents can course correct before it is too late. Finding the right level of parenting involvement is never easy and not universal. The focus should definitely be on nurturing, supporting, protecting and encouraging, but with a lot less hovering, meddling, pampering and controlling. Or else I am going to look bad ...
No comments:
Post a Comment