Sunday, March 22, 2009

St. Patty’s Day: Times are Changing

Forget green beer and packed Irish pubs. The best I could do was clad the family in our traditional $5.00 Old Navy t-shirts on Tuesday, March 17, 2009. We ended up staying home with a store-bought eight pack of Guinness, which wasn’t opened until the kiddos went to bed and consumed during reruns of The Office on TBS. I know, I am still looking for the Irish connection, but given the show originated on the BBC, I am sure we are just six degrees away.

And when St. Patrick’s Day falls on a weeknight (and your kids' age is no longer defined by months), there are definitely more challenges and more parental responsibilities keeping you from celebrating your Irish heritage (besides the typical maternal guilt). Although I am not quite there yet, getting others to partake was my biggest challenge, as friends and family seemed to be consumed by soccer practices, homework, laundry, bath time, choir and even catching up on sleep (whoever hear of such a thing?).
Luckily, this month’s gourmet club had an Irish theme allowing me to wear my new “I Love Ireland” t-shirt at least once, and Laura and I still ran the Emerald Mile allowing me to enjoy some post-race pints at Molly Malone’s.

All in all, I don’t think I will be tracking the Guinness St. Patty’s Day count down clock as closely as before.

No comments: