Last week I turned 38. I usually don’t care about birthdays or age, but hey, this one is two years closer to 40. So it got me thinking. And it got me thinking I am getting old. The eight age-defying, anti-wrinkle skin care products I bought on Amazon prime earlier in the month were just another proof point.
But something happened on my birthday, and to sum it up I thought I would share my facebook post from January 23.
I started the day with an airline ticket to Vegas (OK, only for work) and thinking age was a state of mind – I really do want to believe that. But I am ending my day in a Courtyard Marriott in Dayton realizing you can’t take anything for granted in life. After an usually successful trip to the BMV and a great breakfast with friends, I headed to the airport only to learn my brother suffered a heart attack and was being rushed in for quadrupled bypass surgery. He came out of the procedure in record time and with flying colors, but my heart still goes out to my sister-in-law, my niece, my nephew and my mom. They all got through the day with such impressive strength, and the rest of us did our best, which included getting kicked out off the waiting room for being too loud and finding a way to laugh, when all we wanted to do was cry. In the end, I was only reminded that family comes first – nothing is more important. On a day like today, all the birthday wishes mean more than you can know! So thank you. I truly appreciate all the online love and support tonight!
After this post, I was overwhelmed by the comments, messages, posts, texts, emails and phone calls I received wishing our family well and praying for my brother. Think it might have worked. So thank you.
Since that day Mike has been on a quick road to recovery – overall speedy progress with just a few setbacks – and he is supposed to come home today. He has been in ICU almost the whole time with limited visitors, so I have not been back to see him and ended up going to Vegas after all. It was harder than I thought being 2000 miles away from my family, especially Andy and the kids, so I have been holding them tighter, playing longer, listening better and just finding ways to make more time since my return. And although you begin to question your own immortality in a time like this, you can find comfort in knowing you are leading the life you want and surrounded by people who love you. I am once again reminded that I need to slow down to enjoy it more and that a hug is not a bad thing either (thank you Sarah and Jenni).
No comments:
Post a Comment