Thursday, February 09, 2012

Dental Emergency

Well, it felt like an emergency yesterday. We went in that morning for a few fillings and they redirect us to a surgeon as Alex’s teeth and gums were now infected. They were insistent he get in right away – like his mouth was going to explode in the next 24 hours. I don’t think that was the case, but that was the tone they were using. The dental assistant was ecstatic they could get us in for a late afternoon consultation, so we quickly updated and juggled calendars to make it work. I think my biggest challenge was just trying to get Andy up to speed during our hand off of Alex between conference calls. “First, Alex is six and therefore he now has teeth. Second, we have done a crappy job as parents around oral hygiene (see post below). Third, Alex is not phased at all by this and is looking forward to driving by the Nippert Stadium.” Surgeon was in Clifton and Alex was already wearing his new Bearcats hat.

But in the end, all went well. The actual procedure was today. He was a champ, and I was only somewhat of a worrying mess. They made sit in the waiting room as they knocked out my kid, and on top of it they made me throw away my Starbucks (no food or drinks allowed). I tried to explain my Grande Mocha was more than a beverage to me, but rules are rules.

Alex came out of surgery a droggy and bloody mess, but was in good spirits mumbling he could already tell his teeth no longer hurt. He is now sleeping it off on the couch. And I am strategizing on how to step up our game around family dental care.

No comments: