I always say that if I could wrap up one thing and give it to my children (especially my daughter) as a gift it would be self-respect. I choose that word over self-esteem, as I believe it encompasses so much more. But the point is I want them to have the right balance of confidence, fearlessness, self-awareness, self-control and graciousness, so they can choose not to doubt themselves – and more importantly – find a way to tune out those that may doubt them and not see them for who they are.
I know this is a big wish. I was a teenage girl once, and in talking to Andy, things were not as rosy for teenage boys as I had always thought they were. But if they can muster through those years (or any other period of their life where we are tempted to question who we are or what we should be doing) knowing that they are loved and that they are the best Avery and Alex that they can be, then I can only hope that I did an OK job as parent.
Now with all that emotional and psychological talk out of the way, I thought I would share a glimpse of our Sunday morning dance party. Love the song (F**kin’ Perfect by Pink) and think it reiterates my philosophy noted above. But the video only reinforces again that I got my work cut out for me with Avery.
PS. Don’t worry, I only play the radio version for the kids. And not sure where Avery learned those Madonna-esque dance moves.
No comments:
Post a Comment