Thursday, October 21, 2010

Trending in the Wrong Direction

Tonight I missed Alex’s open house. Sure it was only kindergarten, but it was his first. Guilt was with me all week while I was in Arizona, but a $200 flight change fee to Delta was not in the company’s budget. And despite how much I wanted to be there, it would have meant a red eye home last night. Sure I can do a red eye, but do not prefer one with a two hour layover in Atlanta at 5:00 am. Guess that is what I get for booking my trip well in advance and before the 2010 – 2011 school calendar had come out.

Throw in the fact book fair was also this week (it replaced library day this morning) and Alex was one of only a few kids who did not bring in money for their first official book fair purchase (and therefore got a used book out of a “special” bin), and it is becoming clear I have a much better chance of getting fired from motherhood than my job. I am sill scanning all past online, classroom newsletters and digging through my giant stack of flyers, papers and forms from both LECC and Prodigy for some indication of this activity, but I am not having any luck. Somehow I totally missed it, making today a key data point in my downward trending ability to execute on the simplest of parental tasks. I am missing deliverables (in all aspects of my life), while at the same time I am also missing my kids. I desperately need a break from traveling and more downtime with them on the couch.

2 comments:

Jenni Cox said...

You and Andy should hire someone to cook for you so that you don't have to worry about meals and can spend more time on the couch with the kids ;-)

Sherri said...

Don't you think that has not crossed our minds! But, if you remember, cooking is Andy's chore. And he is already paying someone to do his only other chore (yard work). When do I get the break? :-)