Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Only in Appalachia

Sobbing occurred for at least a solid 15 minutes after I answered what seemed to be a hypothetical and emotionally un-attached question: can brothers and sisters get married? Perhaps it was my lack of sleep or just being oblivious that a parent might get this type of question, but I was notably unprepared and therefore responded in a very direct and frank fashion. Alex’s sad whimper of “ but I want to marry Avery” clued me in that it was being proposed with an underlying intention and I should have let him down with a little more compassion and explanation. But despite everything that is so wrong with the concept, I couldn’t help but think it was bit enduring that he loves his little sister that much.

Glad he is only five and hope these type of mother-son car conversations are kept to a minimal.

No comments: