Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Sick Day

Whatever happened to the good old days when your child was home sick from school and you actually got to take a sick day? Now, especially for us telecommuters, it more resembles take your child to work day. You still feel the pressure to be online, although your boss can count on eight hours of low productivity and your team can expect a screaming, coughing or crying child in the background on every conference call.

But despite my challenges with a sick day, I am beginning to think from a kid’s perspective it more resembles put your child on a pedestal day. Here is a quick summary of Alex’s day when home with an ear infection:

-Slept in!
-Extra syrup on his waffles
-A free pass on whining over morning TV shows
-No school!
-A sticker from the doctor’s office
-A bagel from Panera (I do have to eat)
-A new movie from Target (I do have to get some work done)
-Extra time with my phone to play games
-A mid afternoon cat nap with Mommy

This list explains why Avery went kicking and screaming into pre-school this morning saying she was sick, too, despite being a picture of perfect health. And it explains why a sick day is the only day I feel like my child would vote for me in the mother of the year race …

No comments: