Friday, September 24, 2010

Which Came First

Returning home from a work trip is never easy. Somehow I am still very behind on e-mail, and I always know the house will be a disaster (Andy does at least make the beds on the day I fly back). But I also need to catch up on laundry, school papers, sleep and any good gossip in the neighborhood.

And being away from the kids is hard. First, I just miss them. Second, I get a little too used to my temporary independent lifestyle filled with corporate dinners, drinks (and karaoke) with old (and new) friends and, more importantly, morning and nights in a kid-free hotel room with no screaming and whining, and definitely no little teeth to brush, fights to break up or spilled chocolate milk to mop off the floor. Upon return, I cannot wait to see Alex and Avery (to give them big hugs and squeezes and hear about the days I missed), but I also need to transition back into motherhood at a slow pace because my nerves are still a bit wound and my patience is very low. If you have not dealt with a three year old tantrum in four days, you are just out of practice!

Our morning today exemplified it all (I was in Phoenix this week for our Global Marcom Summit) and a brief dialog with Avery after a very trying few hours sums it up. “Avery, mommy would not have to yell at you if you would listen and make good choices.” “Mommy, I would listen and make good choice if you were not yelling at me.”

Smart kid. She probably has a solid position on the chicken and egg debate, and is not shy about telling me that I need to get back in the parenting game.


No comments: