Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Kindergarten Wrap Up

So not to draw this out, but last week was big. A lot of change (to routines, schedules and attitudes). A lot of firsts (mostly around Kindergarten, but not to be underplayed was Avery’s transition from the Toddler 2 room to the Preschool 1 room at Prodigy). A lot of multi-tasking (I juggled more than usual, and not sure anything was done well – especially at the office). And for me, more emotions (good and bad) than ever expected. Still no sobbing tears, but I was scattered mentally for most of the week. So here are a few lessons learned:

1. Kindergarten open house is not a business meeting. I am pretty sure there has not been green belt training and they are not following OPX processes, so I need to re-set my expectations and will no longer expect formal agendas or streamlined communications. My High D (PI score) will be tested this year, but it is not about me.

2. Watching Alex get on the bus was easy. After sending my kids to full-time daycare or preschool, I am very immuned to their independence and used to our time apart. But hearing Alex describe his first day at school (from who he sat with on the bus to how he participated in the various classroom activities) and how it all seemed so easy, natural, yet exciting, reminds you that it is not about the separation from your kids, but that your kids are growing up AND can function (and survive) without you. And that turned me to mush.

3. Taking Avery to the bus stop will be a challenge. There is no easy way to convey that throwing a fit over which sandals to wear at 8:45 am or announcing you just had an accident at 12:03 is not an option, as we really are on an important time schedule (for once in our lives).

4. We might be settled. Andy is going to hate this one, but Alex is five. He has friends (and will even make more). I have signed up to volunteer in the classroom. We have taken one giant step to being embedded in a school system. Plus, we joined the Loveland Athletic Boosters. With all kindergarten forms signed and two tickets to each home football game, we are officially part of the Loveland school-age-parent community.

No comments: