I did it. I had one of those giant, inflatable, over the top, bouncy things in my front yard for the kids’ birthday party. Never thought I would. But had never heard a little boy two weeks short of turning five ask why his party is not at Run, Jump and Play like all his others friends at school.So yes, I caved. It was all about the guilt I was feeling for making Alex – without a choice in matter – share his FIFTH birthday with his little sister. And despite the fact I usually get them separate cakes, it just didn’t seem like enough this time. From what I am learning, number five is a big deal and is usually the kick-off to big kid birthday mania (parties with no parents - other than those hosting - and parties with plenty of bowling, movie theaters, zoo trips and organized fun zones). So because I suddenly felt like I was cutting a few too many corners by inviting family, friends and neighbors to my house on a single day in May for a double celebration (instead of everyone coming back a week later for a second helping of burgers and cake), I figured I could go a little over the top for a combo party.
The outcome: Both Alex, Avery, as well as their friends (and our friends) loved it! Take away the giant palm trees and the rent me sign and the fact it took up half my front yard, I could not pick a better party accessory - throw in fifteen glow bracelets and it lasted longer into the night than the Bad Juan margaritas. Even better was the fact the kids said (through a few leading questions) that the bounce house came in second behind celebrating with all the great people in their lives. And as long as Alex and Avery don’t protest too strongly, it is going to be tough for me to give up the one-size fits all birthday party/cook-out. But I promise to stay strong and hold my ground when it comes to clowns and ponies.
Click here for more pictures from birthday week 2010.
No comments:
Post a Comment