Usually when I hear the word princess I can’t help but think of reality TV shows, like the crazy moms and unfortunate daughters featured on Toddlers & Tierra’s or the 25 even more insane women vying for the heart of the world’s (or at least ABC’s) most eligible bachelor and declaring that they think he is their prince charming because THEY deserve the fairytale. This is what is making Avery’s transition into the typical three year old girl obsessed with all of Disney legendary characters so challenging for me. I want to support her budding enthusiasm, but at the same time be sure I am not enabling the first step on a long, delusional road toward an inappropriate casting call.
But I knew this day would eventually come. That Alex would be wearing a UD t-shirt and Avery would be the sole benefit of a handy-me-down costume box of Disney princess gowns – thank you very much Aunt Jen. However, I cannot blame the Hecklers, and never would as we always feel so fortunate to inherit PJs, snow bibs, Christmas outfits, Pottery Barn bookshelves and Thomas Engines by the bundle … and all would be labeled EUC (excellent used condition) if on eBay. Nope, this fire started a while ago and as I’ve written before, it ignited on its own. Since then, I realize we have continued to fuel it in small ways, like this afternoon when we started our family friendly Valentine’s Day with a trip to the Mariemont Theatre to see The Princess the Frog.
It seemed like a good choice, since Andy and I stopped treating February 14 as a special day a long time ago. We have always been a bit cynical when it comes to Hallmark inspired events or calendar days where we are forced to buy cards and be romantic (beyond a six pack of beer and The Office reruns), but now that we have kids, I feel like I must show a bit of interest for the international day of love.
So although I settled on Chili’s carryout for dinner and an online shopping spree at REI.com (what girl wouldn’t?), I felt the need to buy Alex and Avery valentines for their friends and allow them to exceed the normal intake of Sweethearts Conversation Hearts. And although the boys spent their day watching/playing Star Wars and solving the latest IT crisis at the Kroger corporate headquarters (per usual), I actually found it a bit fitting (and slightly fun) that Avery and I spent an embarrassing number of hours trying on and re-trying on Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella ball gowns. It just seemed par for the course, and we are pretty sure Avery’s dreams probably came true this Valentine’s Day in typical fairytale fashion. That's Ok for now, but we will re-evaluate next year ...
No comments:
Post a Comment