Sunday, January 31, 2010

Indy’s Big Adventure

Looks like I was being much too philosophical and mellow-dramatic in my earlier post about why we were going to Indy this weekend. I would be lying if I said I didn’t wish a few times that I was sitting at the Northside Tavern listening to Over the Rhine and not on high alert to see who would be the first to chuck the salt shaker across the table or start crying for no apparent reason while valet parking.

The truth is we just needed to drive 120 miles and lock ourselves in a 20 x 30 hotel room to tune out life and pay some extra attention to our kids. Andy and I both struggle to fully disconnect from work, friends or any other current interest or project, and we know this has a big impact on Alex and Avery. So to right this wrong, we eliminated all our usual temptations (ok, Andy’s blackberry made the road trip, but for emergency purposed only) and promised them a kids-first 24 hours one state over.

Our master plan proved successful, and along with all this new found quality time, we left the weekend with a few reminders and lessons learned:

- Doritos are a poor choice for a car snack when anyone is wearing white tights or khaki pants
- A restaurant that has bars around the booth is the best way to keep Avery contained during dinner (that you Alcatraz Brewery)
- My fear of escalators only heightens when I am with our children
- Andy’s distaste for the mall only increases when he is with our children
- A TV that does not have Mickey Mouse on-demand and does not allow you to fast forward thru commercials only leaves our kids confused and upset
- A double bed is not big enough for Alex and Andy
- Dinosaurs are too scary for Avery
- A trip to a virtually-produced Egypt is too boring for Alex
- Hand-sanitizer at every turn is just right for me
- Three hours and twenty minutes is just enough time at the Children’s Museum for our kids to have fun, get tired enough for car naps and leave plenty of exhibits and floors un-explored to warrant a trip back again soon

Click here for pictures from our weekend road trip to Indianapolis.

No comments: