Tuesday, November 10, 2009

YES WE COULD! And I Guess We Still Can …

So I just finished watching the documentary "By the People: the Election of Barack Obama." Can't say I was overly impressed from a documentary standpoint, as it felt more like an extended 60 minutes report or a campaign highlights real, but I was crying throughout the final 20 minutes. It’s so hard to believe it was just one year ago. And even harder to believe how quickly we - as suburban (and white) moms - forget what it really means today and what it will mean in history (November 4, 2008 was just noted by Newsweek as one of the top 10 most significant dates this past decade. I am a bit disappointed that it was ranked after December 12, 2000, which was the day the Supreme Court made the decision to stop the recount of the vote in the Bush / Gore hanging chad, campaign debacle). But in looking at the full list, I am sure one day some historian will point out that one was a direct product of the other.

But back to November 2009. By just watching the documentary I started to feel like a pathetic, fair weather fan since I don't even make the time to turn on MSNBC, laugh at Keith Olbermann’s witting (and yes sometimes bias) remarks and follow the healthcare debate. But at the same time, the documentary was the perfect catalyst to re-inspire me to get involved (or at least pay attention) again. I’ll start tomorrow by wearing my Obama t-shirt on my morning run. And then I’ll re-commit myself to universal healthcare and the Iraq troop withdrawal after lunch in a TBD way ...

No comments: