Monday, December 08, 2008

Giving Thanks

My 10 year old niece, Allison, started a new tradition this year at Thanksgiving where we went one by one around the room stating what we were thankful for. I have to admit, I was pretty focused on the moment and mumbled something about Avery liking her piece of cheese and me enjoying the peace and quite while she was eating it.

But if I look back now – after our flurry of holiday activities and feasts – I can give a more intelligent answer. Obviously, at the highest level I am thankful for family, health and our jobs (especially given the economy this year), but if I am honest and look at this specific moment in our lives, then I am very thankful for being surrounded by people – family and friends – who ensure our kids are loved, safe and growing physically and mentally to their fullest. And possibly just as important, we give thanks to the people who help Andy and I stay sane and continue to be somewhat successful in the act of parenting.

But to be even more immediate – as of 9:00 am this morning – I am extremely thankful that Dani had an extra pair of underwear and a car seat to lend us after Alex had an accident as we were heading out to pre-school. But I am even more thankful that my son does not mind wearing mint green panties with lace trim or riding in Peyton’s pink, ruffled car seat.

Click here for pictures from all our Thanksgiving celebrations.

No comments: