Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Alex's First Christmas Show; My First Mistake

I learned the hard way that 10 minutes early is not early enough to get good seats at a pre-school Christmas pageant. Today was Alex’s first holiday performance, filled with storytelling, singing and dancing. It was held in the church sanctuary at Sycamore, and although I arrived ahead of time, I found myself six pews deep, but at least on the isle. However, once the kids paraded in the room single file and took to the stage (a.k.a. the alter), everyone else in rows two thru five also felt their seats were inadequate and flooded into the isle like paparazzi going after Britney. Thus, I then had full bodies, not just heads and shoulders, blocking my slim view of Alex.

But overall I stayed the course and waited patiently in the back row taking in the performance as much as I could – which by the way was very, very entertaining and I was super proud of how much enthusiasm Alex put into his performance – and then capitalized of the encore act when all parents were invited to stand and sing along to We Wish You a Merry Christmas. That was my moment, and as all other bodies began to rise, I went to the ground and slithered – Navy Seal style – as far to the front as possible to get my money shot. It was well worth the 25 minute wait and the dignity lost by crawling around on the church floor.



No comments: