Friday, November 19, 2010

Sh*t My Kids Say

Andy is currently reading the hilarious book, Sh*t My Dad Says by Justin Halpern, and I am browsing over his should every chance I get, both laughing and cringing at Mr. Halpern’s "philosophical musings.”

The concept reminds me of how every time the kids say something funny (as in witty, inappropriate or naïve), you laugh and think about writing it down, but you never do. I am sure I have over five years of one-liners buried deep in my psych that may never resurface – only to be enjoyed in the moment by me or by a few others whom I might have saw within in a ten minute window and remember enough to share.

So I am starting a new practice. It may not be as diligent or comical as the Halperns, but it will be my first attempt at documenting the early musings of my kids. I’ll update this post as I go, but here is a sampling from this fall …


On Public Restrooms
“I would like a little privacy please. And I won’t touch the mommy trash can.”

On Inappropriate Behavior
“Mommies and daddies are allowed to make bad choice.”

On Inappropriate Clothing
“I am wearing too many clothes to be pretty.”

On Dancing
“Mommy, you shake your coconuts. I shake my booty.”

On Advertising
“Mommy, you can get a taco with nacho cheese poured all over the top. It sounds really delicious and I think you can get it at Taco Bell.”

On Dating
“Today, May from school told me that she has a crush one me. I don’t know what it means, but it makes me happy.”

On My Tone
“I am the kid, you are the mommy and we are family. You don't talk to family like that.”

On Baseball Terms
“Can you believe the Phillies are ‘versing’ the San Francisco Giants in the playoffs?”

No comments: