So will I do it to my kids? According to a recent article in
The timing of the article is amazing since just last night I was in a great debate in my mind on whether or not I should post the picture of Avery sitting naked among a giant pile of clothes. I studied every angle to make sure nothing was too revealing and considered every possible response by naysayers – I could attract sex offenders, I could be arrested for child porn, she could be teased by her peers (which would require Hayden, Siena, Tucker or Leif to peek over their mom’s shoulder while she's reading my blog) or she could be embarrassed later in life when the picture appears in a video montage at her rehearsal dinner – oh wait, that happens anyway!
What is odd is that I opted to put the photo on my blog (which is probably more public, but lesser known), and not on Facebook. Although folks invited me to be their FB friend, I am guessing they were not inviting me to send photos of my children in the buff at will. Something did seem more invasive and exploitative about it for both Avery and my 200 closest, virtual contacts.
But overall, I do see the article as a warning to be mindful what you document online, and I will admit some folks may go overboard in what they share about their kids. I am hoping – and keep me honest if I am not – that my status posts, photos and stories only highlight my own faults, not my kids’ weakness, and through it all I am really laughing with them and at myself.
No comments:
Post a Comment