Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Perspective

It’s been over a month since I had the urge, patience or a witty thought to write, despite having a fresh set of vacation photos and another black snake incident on Hunterwood Lane (don’t worry Cherylanne, I will get around to recapping that one day). But sometimes you experience things in life that make you stop and re-evaluate everything – family, friends, jobs, your home, your community and more – and make you want to focus on what you have and not what you want next.

Three weeks ago, our good friends Jimmy and Meagan unexpectedly lost their 4 month old daughter. I feel almost selfish or false to say that it has been hard on me (as well as Andy), because we can not even imagine the pain, confusion and loss that they are experiencing. But it has had a huge effect on us. It is tough to see someone you care about hurting, as it makes you hurt. It is tough to hear such news as a parent, as you can’t help but think of your our similar situation and begin to look at your kids differently. But by no means can I emphasize; I can only sympathize. And yet that sometimes does not feel like enough, and it is even sometimes hard to do since I still can not find the right words and continue to stumble through my offerings of support.

The past few weeks have crawled by and at the same time I have forced myself not to miss a word or a moment. It is if I re-engaged with my own life instead of being a director pulling strings or even a spectator viewing from a far. Being up close and personal has actually been nice (and much more satisfying than expected) and it has made me realize a few things. First, I need to slow down … there is no reason to rush, tune-out or be greedy. Second, I have used the word “devastating” much too loosely in the past. I feel equipped to take care of the first, but still unclear on my actions for the second. For now, all we can do is to continue to show our support for Jimmy, Meagan and Jack, and tell them that they are in our thoughts and prayers and that Joselyn will be greatly missed.

No comments: