Friday, January 02, 2009

The Unfinished Christmas

The bug hit me about 4:00 pm on Christmas Eve. The fact I missed Christmas hit me on December 28. It’s probably because it was then I was still wrapping presents (about a 1/3 did not make it under the tree) and still waiting for my sister to e-mail me a photo so I can see what Avery looked like in her Christmas dress (why do husbands hate cameras?).

But from what I do remember, the holidays were off to a great start, with plenty of cheer for kids and adults, and even Santa pulled through despite an ice storm, which kept us stranded on the road for four hours and more importantly kept us away from our final hours of last minute holiday shopping, planning and prepping.

So on Christmas morning there were no ornaments on the tree. There was no mom with a camcorder. There were no unfinished cookies and carrots to throw away on the Santa plate. There was no order to how the few wrapped gifts were to be opened. But despite all that, the kids and Andy did not miss a beat and from the cozy corner of the couch (where I propped myself up all morning), Christmas was still a hit for Alex and Avery and all their newly acquired babies, trains, cars, princess carriages, little people, videos, books, legos and small utility kitchens. And yes, bubble bath, too. And that is the way it should be.

Click here for more pictures from Christmas Eve and Christmas morning.

No comments: