Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Going Beyond One Degree of Separation

Despite the title and my new obsession, I am not going to talk about Facebook. Instead, I am contemplating a big decision. One I didn’t know I was going to have to make today. One that stemmed from a simple question in an e-mail. One that may require me to consult my husband and possibly my doctor!

Can Kathy pass on my maternity sweaters, newborn sleepers and other baby gear to a friend in Germany?

In other words, am I ready for all my “baby-on-the way” and “baby-on-board” related items go beyond one degree of separation? Now anyone that has had a parental conversation with Andy and I over the past two years knows that we describe ourselves – and adamantly at that – as two-kid material and we even like to brag about our efficient, tag-team methodology. That is, to bring a third child into this family, means bringing a third adult into our relationship, and none of us are interested in exploring the Big Love lifestyle.

But at the same time, nothing official (or physical) has been arranged. All we have is our steadfast determination and rhetoric, and because of that, I found great comfort in knowing that if something did happen – by accident or a 180 degree change of mind – that I could easily re-collect all clothing, shoes, bedding, bouncy seats, toys, breast pumps, strollers and car seats that I started passing out to friend or foe the minute Avery (or I) outgrew the need for them. Not that I have been keeping a list on who has what – it really is scattered across the tri-state and oversees – but I figured at such breaking news anyone with one of our baby swings would be knocking on our door eager to return it. So passing on Avery’s Pink Velour Ralph Lauren Track Suit (size 9 months) to a friend of a friend really makes our decision to have a family of five (remember, I am counting Casey now) seem very permanent.


Grandparents, don’t get your hopes up, but Kathy, I might need to sleep on this one.

No comments: