Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Fight Club

I thought I had a few more years until sibling rivalry sets in and that there wouldn’t be any family feuds until they hit their teens. But in between every hug, kiss and hand-holding moment, sparks are flying (and a few punches) between Alex and Avery. What makes it worse is that it’s the younger one who is the instigator and the aggressor – torturing her older brother with little pokes, bites, hits, pushes and an ear wrenching scream that even drives Casey to hide under the bed.

I have yet to see a Super Nanny episode where she leans down in front of the 14 month old, makes eye contact and then calmly tells the baby what they did wrong and that they must sit in time-out for five minutes to fully understand their behavior. So the best I can do is point my finger with authority at Avery and firmly say no, give Alex a soothing pat on the back and remind him she is only one and then send them to their separate corners to await the next round.

No comments: