Monday, August 06, 2007

Cutting (Edge) Fashion

When we decided to have kids two years ago, I knew I would be sacrificing any bit of fashion knowledge or style that I may have possessed. It just did not make sense to invest time or money in shopping for expensive and trendy clothes due to my continued expanding and contracting body shape (remember, I’ve been through pre-pregnancy, pregnancy and post pregnancy twice). Plus, let’s face it, I had to choose more practical styles as running around in three inch heals with a baby can be challenging (and dangerous). Therefore, I vowed to live vicariously through my kids ensuring that top dollar was spent on their threads and that they would always be groomed like Baby Gap models.

So after what I believe to be two successful years, it looks like I finally made my first fashion blunder and unfortunately it could not be erased by taking off a shirt and tossing it into the Goodwill bin. Instead, Alex literally had to grow out of it.

Just like “Brad and Angie,” we also prefer long and shaggy hair on kids, but the humidity this summer made Alex’s blonde curly locks look a bit unruly. So I took him in for a trim to just “shorten it over the ears and keep most of the length.” However, my intent was lost in translation and the end result was a circa 1980s mushroom cut and Alex spending the past four weeks looking like Anthony Michael Hall (from Sixteen Candles minus the headgear), Tony Hawk (in the real dog days of summer) and my brother-in-law Mark (at his wedding). Although we kept hoping that this trend would resurface and we would see this cut on Mad or Pax, it looks like a trip back to the barber (or in time) is the only solution.

No comments: