Friday, May 12, 2006

A Mother’s Day

If anyone could document a mother’s day, then you would question whether they were actually a mother. Your day is in motion from the second a sigh, babble or cry comes over the monitor signally your baby is awake. From there it is minute by minute pandemonium, with just short breaks – only if he insists on feeding himself the bagel or actually succumbs to a nap – to catch your breath.

So there is no time for hourly journaling to sum up a typical day, but I did find this paragraph from an article on Baby Center that at least captures a snapshot of it:

“It was raining, raining, raining all day, and we couldn't go out to the park. It was even too cold to go sit on the porch and blow bubbles. Violet's a normal infant, so her idea of what's fun changes about every three minutes. So we sing, then we talk to the kitty, then Mommy sings a song using the hand puppets, then we rearrange the furniture and cruise in a circle around the living room, then we play with the bags of pasta in the pantry drawers, then we look at Mommy's shoes, then we pretend to call Daddy on the toy telephone — and when I look at the clock, oh my God it's only been 20 minutes.”

I had to laugh when reading this because it totally mirrored Alex and I’s last 30 minutes, in which we danced to his favorite song, banged on the living room blinds, jumped on the puppy, chewed on his socks, practiced sticking our tongues out, flipped through Hop On Pop and pushed the high chair around the kitchen. Now just image those activites times 12!


But by no means am I complianing or trying to brag about my daily baby work-out. However, it does make me wonder … what was I doing with all my time one year ago?

So Happy Mother’s Day to all and I hope your Sunday is not a mother’s day, but a day for Mom.

No comments: