Monday, July 16, 2007

Kings Island – Then and Now

I knew one day I would have to overcome all amusement park stereotypes and look past the crowded lines, filthy coaster seats and swimsuit wearing patrons, so that my own kids could have the innocent and exhilarating experience of being whipped around in some type of steel car on some type of steel track. And that day came this past week when Jen and her kids invited us to tag along with them for an evening at Kings Island. To much of my surprise, the park was cleaner than expected and when spending time in kiddy land (now Nickelodeon Universe), you do not witness the typical low brow clientele that invades your personal space and grates your senses with stupidity while waiting in line for the “Backwards Racers.”

OK, that might have been too harsh, but in my childhood memories, the park was never filled with future world ambassadors, so I am glad to see that the other parents snapping photos of their kids on “Swiper’s Sweeper” and “Blue’s Skidoo” had showered and spoke in full sentences.

But more importantly, I was even happier to see Alex’s smiles, laughter and excitement each time he tested his thrill ride limits with his older and braver cousins. It was definitely a sacrifice I was glad to make, and will probably make again and again and again and again …

Click here to see more pictures from Kings Island.

No comments: