Monday, May 07, 2007

Second Birthday (Times Four)

In our desperate attempt not to spoil our child with big, lavish birthday parties, we actually managed to go full circle and offer him a three week long birthday celebration.

So which is worse?

Right now, we have two parties down and two more to go. The past few weekends were spent celebrating with the Muse side of the family and then the Foleys. Still ahead is his actual birthday (which includes one final gift from Mom and Dad) and his daycare party (which I am keeping simple by just bringing cupcakes and forgoing the goodie bags).

It is not our intent to be birthday scrooges, but we are trying to find the right balance between recognizing the importance of this day and spending it with family, while not overwhelming him with 30 plus guests, 30 plus gifts, clowns, pony rides and inflatable jumping toys cluttering our front yard. I am sure one day we will succumb to the new standards of birthday party etiquette, but as for right now, Andy and I are a bit old fashion when it comes to this parenting choice.

Luckily we have 12 more months to review all our options (and the further complications of having a baby sister also born in May) before we have to deal with birthday number three. But for now, I think Alex has grown tired of telling everyone he is turning two and wondering when it is actually going to happen!

Click here for Alex’s birthday photos.

No comments: